Toxic and Dangerous People Food, You should never feed your Dog

PEOPLE-FOOD-DOGS-CAN-EAT
Healthy People Foods Your Dog can eat
June 10, 2018
Things-Not-to-Do-During-Your-Pet’s-Cancer-Treatment
Things Not to Do During Your Pet’s Cancer Treatment
July 11, 2018
PEOPLE-FOOD-not-safe-for-DOGS

Dogs are opportunists in nature when it comes to getting their paws on tasty treats, it is also tempting for us to not share our food with our beloved pet. But what we think might be safe for us to eat, can be harmful and even life threatening to dogs. Here is a list of highly dangerous and toxic foods that you should never feed your dog.

 

Onions: Not Safe

All forms and components of onion are toxic to dogs, even the leaves and onion powder.

Onions contain N-propyl disulfide, which can damage red blood cells and incapacitate them to carry oxygen through the body, resulting in anemia. Anemia makes your dog loose its appetite, making him lethargic, weak, and faint.

 

Garlic: Not Safe

Garlic is a big NO. You should never feed your dog garlic. As it has chemicals known as thiosulfates that are extremely toxic for dogs. Thiosulfates will damage red blood cells and cause anemia in your dog. Vomiting and diarrhea are common symptoms of garlic poisoning.

Severe cases in which a dog has consumed high amounts of garlic, often requires a blood transfusion.

 

Chocolate: Not Safe

Chocolate is one of the most toxic food you can ever feed your dog.

Chocolate poisoning is fatal in most cases. If your dog consumes chocolate he/she may exhibit signs of diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration. It can lead to some serious complications, such as muscle tremors, seizures, internal bleeding and ultimately death.

Also, darker chocolates such as baker’s chocolate and cocoa powder are more toxic than milk chocolates or other sweetened varieties.

 

Gum (Xylitol): Not Safe

Xylitol is a sugary substance that is often used in gums, candies and tooth paste.

“Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and can be deadly.”

Xylitol when consumed by dogs, causes hypoglycemia/low blood sugar, muscle weakness, liver failure, seizures, eventually leading to death.

 

Salty Foods: Limited

Salt is good for dogs, in fact dogs need salt in their diet.

But excessive salt ingestion in dogs lead to water deprivation or salt poisoning. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and may even result in death.

You should avoid feeding your dog such foods that have high salt concentration, like chips, pretzels etc. Also make sure your dog gets plenty of water to drink.

 

People’s Medicine: Not Safe

Any type of medication designed for human use, whether prescribed or over the counter, can have adverse effects or be fatal for dogs.

Prescriptions medicines that contain ibuprofen or acetaminophen found in millions of households as a cold or pain relievers, if consumed by a dog accidently or purposely can lead to some serious poisoning and even death.

 

Avocado: Not Safe

Avocado seeds can cause foreign body obstruction in dogs, it can get stuck in the esophagus, stomach or intestinal tract.

Avocado also contains toxin known as persin, which can lead to fluid accumulation in chest or lungs and can cause oxygen deprivation through breathing difficulties and even death.

 

Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums: Limit

Seeds from persimmons can cause issues in a dog’s small intestine. Peach and plums pits contain cyanide, which is a substance very toxic for dogs. It can cause stomach upset or diarrhea.

However, Small bite sized cut bits of peach or plum are okay to feed in moderation as an occasional treat.

 

Nutmeg: Not Safe

Nutmeg is basically poison for your dog. It contains myristicin, a compound that is very toxic to dogs. It can cause increased heart rate, high blood pressure, disorientation, convulsions, dry mouth, seizures and even death.

 

Grapes and Raisins: Not Safe

Even small amount of grapes or raisins are toxic for dogs, and have the potential to cause acute kidney failure resulting in death.

So, grapes and raisins should be avoided altogether.

 

Coffee and Tea: Not Safe

Coffee and tea, both are risky for your dog to have. They contain caffeine, which can be toxic in high doses. A strong cup of tea or coffee even if it is quarter full, can cause some serious signs of agitation.

Caffeine stimulates a dog’s nervous system, which can lead to symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, elevated heart rate seizures, hyper activity and tremors. Abnormal heart beat and lung failure can also result from too much caffeine, which ultimately leads to death.

 

Macadamia Nuts: Not Safe

Macadamia nuts or biscuits with macadamia nuts are fatal for dogs.

Macadamia nuts have high fat contents, which can cause pancreatitis by elevating triglyceride levels in dogs. They also contain an unknown toxic and can cause muscle weakness, hyperthermia, depression and tremors even when consumed in small amounts.

 

Lemons and limes: Not Safe

Despite having no nutritional value, lemons are toxic to dogs. As they are acidic in nature, they can disrupt acid base balance in dogs.

They contain a substance known as psoralen, which can cause gastro intestinal symptoms, diarrhea, and vomiting. In severe cases, Muscles tremors, liver failure and death can occur.

 

Yeast Dough: Not Safe

Raw yeast dough is extremely unsafe for dogs to eat.

When yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, it makes alcohol in the process. When consumed by a dog, it can lead to alcohol poisoning, and death in severe cases.

Furthermore, consuming raw yeast dough can also cause weakness, breathing difficulties and bloating in dogs.

 

Alcohol: Not Safe

Alcohol is harmful for us, and even more harmful for dogs.

Even small amount of alcohol ingestion by a dog can lead to some serious ethanol poisoning. Dog may show symptoms of tiredness, seizures, lack of coordination, vomiting and diarrhea.

In severe cases, it can cause heart attack, coma, lung failure, ultimately leading to death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *